Sunday, November 7, 2010

Evicted from Poverty

7 November 2010


Today I had an inside glance at what poverty looks like in India...and even then it was not the poor of the poorest (to even imagine what that looks like!)...a small space made to look like a home...where everything takes place...from the cooking...to the changing of clothes...to the sleeping of parents and 2 children...to the abuse that a wife endures from a drunkard husband...to the children who have to witness it...today I met a lady who is desperately wanting to put her children at Operation Shanti as she fears for their safety...as her wishes are being granted what about her own safety...there is nowhere for her to run from her husband...from his beatings...a fate far worse than death here in India...but her children will be safe...imagine safety where your parents are not around to nurture you because they are also being evicted (the irony of even being evicted from poverty!)...where you will be with other children of similar circumstances...that's not how I remember it...it was a tough day today I have to say...and I think my age really showed today when I could not remember the darn words to the Hokey Pokey...but what the hey the kids had a blast and had no frigging idea what I was saying...their laughter...always refreshing...



No comments:

Post a Comment