Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 1 - Operation Shanti

1 November 2010

Today we spent 2 hours at Operation Shanti helping to clear out the back garden area…a small job but one that allowed me to interact with the older girls…it seems this was not a job for the little kids nor the older boys…hmmm a clear reflection of Indian culture where the girls seem to get all the work done…be it by force or by pure competence…nonetheless the girls were very helpful and a job well done…tomorrow I shall start there officially and help Tracy with the kids when they return from school everyday…and I am looking forward to learning more about the kids…their stories…their dreams…their hopes…I understand there is one child there who is 6 years old and diagnosed with ADHD…I wonder what hope there is for her in this country with her condition…at 6 years she is on the drugs to repress her behaviour…what does her future look like…Prasad the oto driver will get more of an opportunity to earn some income whilst I am here…by ferrying me to and from Operation Shanti everyday…where to madam? Operation Shanti? Ok Ok we go now…and the chickpeas today at lunch were amazing…!

No comments:

Post a Comment