Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Another day out in Mysore

Monday, 15 November 2010


...Today we went out into the city again...it was my off day from the kids..woohoo...actually I think they need a break from me more than anything...first stop was the grand Mysore Palace...home to the so-called royal family of India called the Wodeyar maharajas before democracy came and wiped everything away...it is truly magnificent to the point of being almost obscene with opulence...it actually looks like any ole palace you would find in Britain...but instead of Caucasian tourists there are throngs of Indian tourists...I keep forgetting how big this country is...in Singapore when there is a big event on you are almost certain that 3/4 of Singapore is at that event...and the malls and food courts will be empty...here it's just people everywhere...and I mean everywhere!!...we were struggling to keep ahead of the red caps...students obviously on a school outing wearing red caps for identification...man I have never been round a big palace so fast in my life...but we managed to get a real sense of royalty...and how the divide between rich and poor must have been even more severe then...no middle-class then that's for sure...only upper class and down class...actually I am wondering if there is a difference even now?...and sad to say I had to 'tip' the guard 10 rupees to keep my camera in my bag and not have to deposit it...ma'am you no taking camera out of bag, ok?...but you tipping me I go buy chai later...poodah!


...then it was time for lunch at Hotel RRR where I get my thali for S$1 and my extra poopadum for S$0.05 heehee...can't do without the padums!!
...And after lunch we had the most strange encounter with the same goondhusamy who followed us the last 2 times we were in the city...he just did not seem to recall us at all...madam where you from...HONGKONG! you poopadumdum!...but that did not work...but I have now figured the trick is to start a conversation with them and ask them all the same questions that they ask you...for some reason that silenced him and we were able to move on...maybe I am the poopadumdum for not trying this earlier...we headed home after that as the city can drain you...people, cows, autos, people...everywhere!!...aaah Incredible India!



No comments:

Post a Comment