Thursday, November 4, 2010

63 and counting...

4 November 2010

Gosh is it the 4th of November already?…how the time flies even in slow India…but is it really that slow…those Oto drivers are crazy and it’s a wonder we have not witnessed an accident yet…today on my way to Operation Shanti I counted the number of cows along the way…63…these sacred animals line the streets like no other…instead of ‘Beware of Dog’ signs there should be ‘Beware of Cow Poop / Dung / Crap / Shit signs…you name it…and trust me they come in all shapes and sizes…I can’t remember but do they use it as cooking fuel here in the slums?...the cow poop I mean…contrary to what I was told…they do not milk the cows in the middle of the streets hahaha…but they do go up and stroke her ever so gently possibly in the hope of some transfer of sacred holiness and blessing…I am too chicken to try and besides I need both my hands to function…I wonder what other wonders I will find in India in the weeks to come…oh and today still only 3 kids sitting still and drinking milk…but Vinutha today seemed a little distressed...not sure why but she was crying alot...sometimes I seem helpless and wonder what is going thru the children's minds...and today was also Vijayalakshmi's birthday...her mother brought her some sweets which she shared...they have so little yet they share so much...lesson for today I am sure...tomorrow is Diwali and we have bought sparklers for them…no firecrackers but these will do…unless I have no intention of coming back to Operation Shanti tomorrow haha…AND I WOULD LIKE TO SAY VANNAKAM TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE READING THIS...it's just me sharing a little light for all of us...*smiles*!




1 comment:

  1. VANNAKAM to you too jo. Lovely reading your updates and it sounds amazing what you are doing. I dare you to try and get on a cow in the street and see if you can ride it like a horse. I don't mean that but just the picture in my mind makes me smile.

    Have a wonderful time!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete